day 238 {pizzookies}

Oh. My. God. I made pizzookies today and they were AMAZING. We have a saying at work for desserts that are this good but I can hear my mother saying "Jennifer..." and shaking her head in disgust so I won't repeat it. I'll just say that it was one of the best desserts I've ever had and I'm not a big dessert fan. And other than a brief love affair with Haagen Daas cookie dough ice cream in the late 90s, I don't really like ice cream.

Anyway, I highly recommend it. I used my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe and instead of using ramekins, I used French onion soup bowls. They were slightly bigger but not enough to warrant spending $20 on ramekins which I don't have. One batch of cookie dough made 4 pizzookies.

My Mom's Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (all purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream together shortening, brown sugar and white sugar, then beaten egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt and gradually blend into creamed mixture. Stir in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

(Follow the pizzookie recipe at Our Best Bites at this point OR)

Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for approximately 10-12 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen.


Here's what it looked like after 15 minutes in the oven, all golden around the edges and gooey on the inside:



Here is my lovely assistant with her pizzokie loaded with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and caramel sauce:



It didn't stand a chance. (If you look closely, she even has it on her shoulder.)



Anyway, that was dinner. The day was pretty busy before and after that. Earlier in the day we went to Costco. One of very few twin friendly places. Other than Zehrs/Loblaws, Costco is one of the only places that has room for two babies to ride in the front of the cart. Everywhere else only has room for one.



On the way there we took the Bethel Road. This is the perfect road for anybody who likes rollercoasters but doesn't want to pay the $50 to get into Canada's Wonderland. As you can see, Ava loved it.



We tried corn on the cob on the barbecue for the first time. It turned out okay but the individual wrapping was a pain. The end result was exactly the same as boiling it on the stove so I don't think it was really worth it.



Ava and I bought more sparklers while we were out and played some more after dark.



This is supposed to be "I {heart} you". This is take two. Take one had a backwards 'u'.





As I close out the day I am furious with Dell Canada. My brand new laptop stopped working today after a Vista update. After 45 minutes on the phone they determined it was a software problem (apparently the 1 year warranty only covers hardware). I was told I was going to be transferred to the software department where I would have to pay a "meager" fee to have them fix the problem. Turns out the "meager" fee was $129! I DON'T THINK SO. Three hours later and I have fixed it myself, all of my files are backed up and it was FREE. My advice for the day? If somebody tries to sell you a computer with Vista on it, run in the other direction as fast as you can because it is complete garbage.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

Mari said…
The dessert looks yummy! The sparkler shots turned out really good too!
Anonymous said…
WOW that dessert makes my mouth water!!! I have a feeling Jarret's face would look like Ava's after eating that, haha, he likes cookies :)

Sara
Unknown said…
Beautiful moments from the life!

yummy dessert!